Tuesday 2 July 2024

Elton John has confirmed he won’t be touring ever again


by Lauren Mills

It’s been 55 years since Elton John released his debut album Empty Sky (1969) and over 50 years since he released his most popular album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973).

The musical icon, 77, has now confirmed he is done touring, and heartbreakingly, fans will not get the chance to see him on the road again.

It’s been 55 years since Elton John released his debut album Empty Sky (1969) and over 50 years since he released his most popular album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973).

The musical icon, 77, has now confirmed he is done touring, and heartbreakingly, fans will not get the chance to see him on the road again.

“We’ve got our sons, you know, they’re getting into their teenage years now.

“We don’t want to miss anything. We want to be present for that. It’s sort of a key decade, I think, in a child’s life.”

John and Furnish met in 1993. Credit: Getty Images

John and his husband David Furnish became the first “registered” gay couple in the UK after they registered their civil partnership at Windsor Guildhall government services and municipal offices in London. 

They then started to grow their family and welcomed their first child, Zachary, 13, via surrogate, and later, Elijah, 11, via the same surrogate.

Furnish was present in the interview and added that “he’s been doing it for 60 years… So it’s nice to have that time to spend at home with family.”

At his last show on July 8, 2023, John said his farewells to the crowd in a sweet goodbye speech.

John’s farewell show. Credit: Getty Images

“My very first concert was in Sweden on the 7th of July in 1971, so more or less 52 years ago since the day I first played in Stockholm,” he began.

“I’ve had the most wonderful career, beyond belief. 52 years of pure joy playing music. How lucky am I to play music?

“But you know, I wouldn’t be sitting here and talking to you if it wasn’t for you. You bought the singles, the CDs, the albums, the cassettes, but more importantly, you bought the tickets to the shows. You know how much I love to play live. It’s been my lifeblood to play for you guys. You’ve been absolutely magnificent.

John has won five Grammys and has been nominated 35 times over the course of his career. Credit: Getty Images

“I will never forget you guys, I’ve played so many concerts, how could I forget? You’re in my head, my heart, and my soul and I thank you so much.

“I will never be touring again, but I may do something in the future— a one-off thing—but that’s miles away.

“I want to appreciate my family, my sons, my husband, everything. I’ve earned it. And I don’t regret it tonight. I want to thank the band, the crew, everybody. I will miss you guys so much, but I’ll see you much sooner than you think. I love you guys!”

First published at New Idea, July 2, 2024


Journalist
Lauren Mills
Digital Content Producer

Lauren Mills currently works as a Digital Content Producer for Are Media. She writes primarily for New Idea though she also occasionally produces stories for other publications under the company name such as Now To Love and Who. Lauren began her studies at RMIT University in 2021, studying for a Bachelor of Communications, majoring in Journalism. As part of her time at RMIT, she completed a semester abroad where she continued her degree at North Carolina State University in the United States. Lauren later moved to South Australia and transferred her course to the University of South Australia where her degree transformed into a Bachelor of Journalism and Professional Writing - she then began her career in media in September 2023. Lauren produces articles covering all things fashion, health, beauty, and entertainment but particularly enjoys writing about travel, the latest TV shows, upcoming movies, and shopping content, however, her passion lies in all things music.




No comments: