Tuesday 4 July 2023

A US CONDUCTOR COPES WITH TRANSEXUAL CHANGE



by Norman Lebrecht

Message on social media from James Gaffigan, incoming music director at Komische Oper, Berlin:


It’s tricky to talk about things besides music, food and my kids on social media but I would like to say how proud I am of Cam Kjøll.



Although we are not a couple anymore, we share a miracle of a child together and are great friends. Cam is on a journey that many people including family members don’t understand.


Cam is a proud member of the trans community, a genius parent, brilliant musician, a great listener and an example to people around the world that it’s okay to be yourself and listen to your inner voice.


They are a shining and guiding light for other generations to come, and working to opening passageways both in the society and within people. I continue to educate myself and the people around me about gender and identity. I also realize ignorant people get angry only because they don’t take the time to understand.


Cam is taking part in the pride parade today in Oslo! #OsloPride #Pride2023 


As the incoming General Music Director of Komische Oper Berlin, we have the reputation of welcoming all types of people into our performance spaces.


I encourage all my colleagues and friends to accept and try to understand people who seem different. We are born without prejudice. We are born curious and loving. Let’s try to reconnect with that.


First published at Slippedisc, July 2, 2023



No comments: